People who will devour a gallon of ice cream in one sitting, eat a slice of cake the size of their head, or have three donuts for breakfast have always confused me. I just don’t have that kind of relationship with sugar. For me, whatever language you want to use – dolche, bonbon, a sweet – it should be that je ne sais quoi at the end of a meal or a long day; that breathy, little kiss goodnight. Eating a gallon of ice cream while you sit on the couch bing watching Netflix is kind of like going to a frat party, standing around while jocks pound jello shots watching 20-year old girls wrestle in a ball pit filled with whipped cream. I mean, yeah, you could do that, but do you ever really feel good about it after?
Ok, judgement aside, I have a lovely little confection for you that you can whip up in less than 15 minutes and will promise you that lovely, little kiss goodnight. It’s light, delicate, and extremely versitale depending on the ingredients you have on hand. So put down that jello shot and follow me. Your parfait and better judgement awaits…
Mon Petit Parfait
- Fresh Whipped Cream (Don’t be Lame! Alert: I swear if you plan on using ‘whipped cream’ that comes out of a tub or a can to make this parfait, please, just swipe left.)
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Chilled Stainless Steel Bowl and Hand Mixer Blades
- Berries: You need to go fresh and seasonal. This is the first layer of your flavor that you will base your additional ingredients off of.
- Herbs: Depending on what you are making, mint, basil, or lavendar paste could provide complex additions to your parfait.
- Texture: This is where you pair your flavor and things get really fun. Think cereals, crumbled up crunchy cookies or crumbled up pie crust. The goal with this layer is flavor that plays off the fruit, but a texture that juxtaposes the rest of the ingredients.
Note: I don’t recommend cake or soft, chewy cookie crumbles because between the cream and the fruit, you might end up with a parfait that is less than exciting if you make all the layers soft. You really are looking for a flavoring pairing, BUT, a texture contrast.
- Step One: In a small mason jar, cup, or glass, spread a layer of your freshly whipped cream. Layer it evenly on the bottom using a spoon. (You may have noticed I keep my leftover jars from Yoplait’s Oui yogurts. I LOVE THEM. They make perfect servings for mini-sundaes, cups for the kiddos, mini vases, and of course, petit parfaits!)
- Step Two: Next comes your texture. Crunch up your cereal or sprinkle in your granola or whatever you plan to use. Then add your layer of berries.
- Step Three: Add another layer of cream, another layer of texture, and another layer of berries.
- Step Four: Add your final layer of cream.
- Step 5: Garnish with flair! I suggest a little topper of berries and maybe a cookie to enjoy with your parfait.
Ummm… Crunchy? Can’t y’all just tell me what you made in that thar picture?
Oh, yeah! Sure! Sorry.
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Chex Mix
- Fresh Mint Leaf
- Chocolate Hazelnut Macaroon (Or you can just cheat like I do and buy them from the farmers market.)
So there you have it! A very simple, light, fresh, and delicious dessert you can whip together to delight your little one, delight your loved ones, or delight yourself.
Nom your sweet little kiss goodnight on,