I wasn’t really sure what the hell to call this dish, but then it occurred to me that everyone rolled their eyes back in their heads at first tasting, so there you have it. Perfect side for a BBQ gathering or if you just want a bowl of rad, this is a fun way to get freaky with those infused oils you see in the store and are never sure if you should buy. I am here to say … BUY THEM.
Orgasmic Summer Squash
- 1-2 Zucchini
- 1-2 Yellow Squash
- 1 small, White Onion
- 1 basket cherry tomatoes
- Fancy-pants infused olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. Roll out a large layer of foil.
- Slice your squash up and then halve the slices. Toss them on the foil.
- Quarter your small white onion. Toss them on the foil.
- Dump your cherry tomatoes on the foil, too.
- Now, for the fun part. Liberally pour your fancy-pants infused oil on your veggies. Using your hands, mix them all around to coat in the oil. For my veggies, I used a citrus-habanero infused oil.
- Liberally season your veggies with salt and pepper. Again, use your hands to mix well. Taste to make sure you have a nice balance.
- Fold the veggies up into a pocket with the foil and crimp the edges for a tight seal.
- Place the packet in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. I pulled mine out after 20 minutes to check on them and I recommend you do the same. The should be nice and soft by the end, but not mushy.
This is a lovely side and a great way to enjoy seasonal squash from the farmers market and infused oils. Everyone raved about them at my Lammas Day celebration. If you are looking for a light meal on a weeknight, this would also work well because you are getting the fat from the oil and the anti-oxidants from the veggies. A very balanced dish, nutritionally.