I don’t know about you, but I am TOTALLY fighting the middle-aged chub these days. I don’t seem to have the discipline to live on 1200 calories like I used to, not with a 2-year old harshing my buzz. How to keep from totally letting go? Well, I like to do a no-carb meal each day and a no-meat meal each day. This dish nails both, and as a bonus it’s light, refreshing, takes advantage of one of our best summer produce, and it’s delicious.
Egg and Beefsteak Tomato Salad
- 2 eggs
- 1 large, ripe beefsteak tomato
- 1 heaping tbsp of Mayo or Miracle Whip
- 2 tbsp large snipped fresh green onion
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh dill
- Ground cayenne pepper
- In a medium pot, bring water to a rolling boil.
- Gently spoon eggs into the water and boil for 6 minutes. Set a timer to be precise.
- When eggs are done, immediately move to a bowl of cold water. Allow eggs to cool down for about 5 minutes.
- Remove shell from each egg and place in a small mixing bowl. With a fork, mash eggs. Add mayo and mix. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix again.
- Slice beefsteak tomatoes thickly.
- Arrange your tomatoes so they cover your plate and dust with salt and pepper. Spoon egg salad over the tomatoes. Dust again with a little salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle green onion and dill over egg salad.
You can serve on its own or with a little side of mixed greens and dressing or some cucumbers like I did. Guilt-free breakfast or lunch!